Summer At The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium
The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium is one of the more unassuming buildings on an otherwise busy boardwalk strip. Surrounded by bars and restaurants and nestled under the world famous pier, the building can be easily missed. But once inside, you'll discover just how much this hidden gem has to offer. The aquarium, acquired by Heal The Bay in 2003, is home to more than 100 species of marine animals and plants which can all be found in the Santa Monica Bay.
Fun Things For Kids To Do At The Aquarium:
- Get a hug from a spiky sea urchin
- Watch a shark feeding (Sundays @ 3:30, Tuesdays @ 2:30)
- Examine microscopic sea life in our lab (microscopes every Thursday)
- Embark on a marine-themed scavenger hunt
- Make a sea star crown, an octopus puppet or a pirate's hat at the arts and crafts station (featuring a brand new puppet theater refurbished by Paramount Pictures)
- Story time every Saturday at 2PM
In addition, the aquarium offers a drop off micro biologist class for 3-5 year olds as well as a Science Adventures Camp for older kids.
Check it out... admission on the first Wednesday of every month is FREE in celebration of Heal The Bay turning 30 years old!!
Posted on Wed, June 3, 2015
by Elise Edwards