Alison Jacobson, The Safety Mom, has become known as the preeminent voice on safety, wellness and healthy living. From environmental toxins and healthy eating to sports injuries and cyber bullying, Jacobson is always on the lookout for issues facing families.
She shared with us her tips on keeping your home safe while you're away. Here are her top 10:
- Let your security company know that you will be away
- Give a trusted neighbor a house key and alarm code and have them go in and out a few times so it appears people are home (be sure to provide this person’s contact information to the alarm company and police, if you are notifying them). Also let your neighbor know where your circuit panel is in the event of a power outage.
- Have exterior and interior lights on timers
- Do NOT post updates on social media that you’re on vacation or pictures of you on the beach in the Bahamas
- To prevent a fire unplug or disconnect the dryer and shut the water valve off to the washing machine to prevent a flood. Every year there are approximately 15,500 dryer fires every year which cause tremendous property damage. Because of the humidity levels a traditional smoke detector can’t be installed in a laundry room but, but using Sooner Alarm’s PlugSafe someone can be alerted to a dryer fire immediately.
- Don’t close your blinds – keep your house looking as usual
- Stop the mail and newspaper delivery
- Unplug your television, computer, and other appliances to protect them from power surges. For those items that do remain plug in, use PlugSafe from Sooner Alarms to be sure that your alarm is sounded sooner for Fire and Rescue to respond.
- Frost or cover your garage windows, burglars won’t be able to tell if your car is gone.
- Unplug the power to the automatic garage door to eliminate the ability to open with a universal remote
Posted on Sat, October 20, 2018
by Elise Edwards filed under