Chocolate Stressbusting Smoothie
I'm still deciding whether to let my kids in on the latest news from the Journal of Psychopharmacology. While I've heard that the antioxidants in dark chocolate are good for you, now it turns out that chocolate can also put you in a better mood. Through their study, it was found that those who drank a chocolate drink once daily, containing the equivalent of 1.5 ounces of dark chocolate, reported feeling calmer and more content than those who did not.
Chocolate with less guilt? Count me in. Check out this "Stressbuster Smoothie" from Upwave.com. Easy to make, packed with protein and heart healthy.
Recipe: Stressbuster Smoothie: Chocolate
- 3/4 cup 1 percent milk
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 cups raspberries, divided
- 4 whole ice cubes
What You Need
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate chips and whisk until the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into a blender. Add yogurt, almonds, 1 cup of raspberries and ice and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with remaining raspberries and serve.
Looking for other mood boosting foods? Try protein (almond butter with half an apple, a cheese stick or some carrots and hummus), bananas (which contain Dopamine), caffeine (yeah for coffee!), purple berries (blueberries and blackberries), and Omega 3's (fats found in salmon, sardines and fish oil supplements).
Posted on Tue, December 17, 2013
by Elise Edwards filed under